This is your class blog to share and learn with each other

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What is learning?

In the last lesson I presented some of you with a question that I've also had to consider in my training (formal and informal - again and again!)
I asked you what it actually means to 'learn' something? Now this was in connection with vocabulary. It might be useful, however, to think about something you have recently 'learned'.
How did you learn it?

Example: quite a few of you have left comments on this blog. Did you know how to do it before? Have you 'learned' how to do it? What was involved in the learning process (of this or other examples you have in mind)?

I would encourage you to leave your comments here - and, of course, you can comment on others' comments too, turning it into a discussion.

As you can see, I've also added a concordancer to the links. Have a look at it, try out the different corpi (plural of coprus)
You could start with 'attain' and 'achieve'.

4 comments:

Agatha Holdener said...

Hi everyone

Sunday morning, the sun is shining, the birds are singing... a wonderful ambience for learning.
Learning could be plesurable.
Being curious but not too determined, don't be afraid of faults, try it again and again, this are important points for me.
Since Friday morning there is a little boy from China in our school. He doesn't speak German and only a little bit English. But at three o'clock in the afternoon he said to me: Tschüss Frau Holdener, ein schönes Wochenende. He looket at the other boys and girls when they said me goodbye and did the same... the right thing in the right situation. It was really impressiv to hear that.
Never give up!

Nadine Gerster said...

Hello,

The easiest way to learn something is to do a link to something that you already know. For example if I have to learn the word 'island' I think about Iceland (German: Island). The other option is to learn 'with your body'. It sounds funny but it works. For example you have to learn 10 rules in grammar. For each rule you use an other part of the body. Rule one is allocated (?) by your left arm. Rule two is at your left leg... and so one.
I mean these hints are the best for me, but it's not everybodys job. And it doesn't work for everything what you have to learn.
I'm looking forward to see you all next Tuesday.

Illya said...

I really discovered what learning is when I took a course in online teaching. There we had to discuss this very topic quite extensively, asking ourselves what the last thing was we had learned, what had we acquired and what was the difference. I was learning by reflecting, mulling over the ideas that were coming at me fast-paced and then trying them out. One very simple example was the use of emoticons :-D.
I had never used them before, and then suddenly I was chatting (something else I'd never done before)and being confronted with them. I also had the feeling I was expected to use them, so by observing the others and trial and error I figured them out. have any of you had similar experiences?

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Well, my tactique of learning is, as you said Illya, trial and error!

For my artistic work I learned the most part by myself. I appreciate this way of learning even if it is a very slow one. But then I really have the impression of knowing it, because I experienced not only victories but a lot of failures aswell. My conviction is: doing faults and learning out of them (in any possible subject).

Learning a language is more difficult. A language is not something that you can learn by heart, but something alive. The best way of learning a language is to use it. I try to combine words from other languages I know to enlarge my vocab. That works quite often. But for the grammar, there seem to be no other way but learning.

Learning by making mistakes might be the best way of learning, I am convinced.

Greetings

Lydia