This is your class blog to share and learn with each other

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My first Swiss Christmas


When I came over here many years ago as an exchange student, I stayed with a family with a small child. They were very kind to me and even had St. Niklaus come to visit. I was impressed because he only came when I was asleep in the US, and he clearly stayed on a diet here in Switzerland, being quite long and lean.

But the big surprise was that, after telling me all he knew (this wasn't the surprise) he brought forth from his big bag a pair of winter boots for me. And they even fit! This was a surprise. How did he know what size my feet were?

However, this was just the beginning of the surprises that were in for me.

On Christmas Eve I was banned from the living room, so I played with the little boy and waited, wondering what was going to happen next. Another Santa, maybe?

Well, there was a little tinkling of a bell and we were called into the living room.
Lo and behold, a living Christmas tree full of real, burning candles!
I had never seen such a sight before, for burning candles on Christmas trees are forbidden in the states (many a town has burnt to the ground on such festive occasions).
So my first reaction was - Where is the bucket of water!
After I had gotten over my fears, I ooed and awed the Christmas tree.

I will certainly never forget my first Swiss Christmas!

I wish you all and your families a very festive time during the Christmas season and a very Happy New Year!

No comments: