This is your class blog to share and learn with each other

Sunday, March 16, 2008

...the sound of Africa...

As everyone in our class knows, Kenya, with its colourful landscapes, tropical plants, fascinating animals, people and tribes is my passion.
Unfortunately it is not yet the time to stay there for longer.
When I’m overcome by homesickness, I cook ugali, Kenyan food, or I take my djembe and start to drum.
The djembe is not especially a Kenyan drum; it is believed to have come from the malinke people in the northeast of Guinea, west Africa. With tools for metalwork, smiths hollowed out trunks and formed them like the traditional mortar. Covered in gaot skin, the djembe’s sharp bright sound and dynamic range of colours made it an ideal drum for healers and storytellers, as well as accompanying dance or for communication between villages – we would say the “bush-phone”.
The sound depends on where you beat the drum. The bass is played in the centre of the drum. An open beat called tone and the sharp beat called slap are played on the edge of the skin. Professional players beat 21 different sounds….I still have to practise hard….After Easter holidays there will be a course at the PHZ and maybe we catch an ear when Daouda Coulibaly rolls the djembe.


1 comment:

Illya said...

That is just the sweetest video! He reminds me of my son, who is always beating a rhythm (especially at the breakfast table when I want my peace and quiet!) or at the piano playing one of the songs he knows.
Maybe you'll play for us at the end of the course??? :-)