This is your class blog to share and learn with each other

Monday, November 10, 2008






What does it mean to me?


Now and then I take one or some more picture of the Mount Pilatus directly from our balcony. I find it utterly interesting to catch these varied moods of light and weather. There are endless altered atmospheres of colors and plays of shadows, once you'll see the crisp air and nearly every blade of grass, then the whole mountain is covered of clouds and another time he blazes in red as he would actually be burning. Although I change neither my position nor the subject, there's no tedious photo to complain. So, I'll carry on taking photographs, because this Mountain deserves that attention and once I might print a photo-book, but just for me, not for sale.

Whenever I gaze at this mountain I'm getting aware of my grandmothers grave, for her ashes is strewn up on the summit of the “donky”. It has been her favorite mountain as she was living whole her live-time in the shadow of that giant rock. And she was actually the first woman who played Alphorn upon the top of Mount Pilatus and I guess the first woman playing Alphorn in Kriens after all.

But apart from this family tie the Mount Pilatus gradually has attracted my attention more and more, I'm not quite sure why, but may be it relies on the moment, when I first got aware of the really beautiful backdrop he's giving to Luzern and the lake before. When I realized the extraordinary shape as well as his special solitary location in front of all the Alps.

But perhaps It's quite my own laziness, that I fell in love with him, because I don't have to leave the flat to admire him - who knows.

3 comments:

Illya Arnet said...

Very stunning photos! I think your idea of taking a picture of this lovely mountain from the same place again and again is a great one.

Did you know that Seattle also has a similar mountain (acually a dormant volcano)? Only it's further away and often looks like a cloud in the sky or a surreal backdrop to the city.

Annelise said...

Hi Sancho

Thanks for my good luck! I have a very similar view from our garden to that impressing mountain. I completely agree with Illya. In the area of Seattle there are very beautiful mountains too.

Anonymous said...

Hy Sancho

Great pictures! The mount Pilatus is actually a giant mountain. The contour reminds one of the spiked humped back of a dinosaur. I must tell you that I did exactly this in my degree dissertation. During one year I have drawn the mount Pilatus for several times. For me he is very fascinating.
There already exists a book about it “Mt. Pilatus- Faces and Stories”.