This is your class blog to share and learn with each other

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Biking around Brig, Wallis, Switzerland

Dear English students of our class
As a conscientious student, I do my homework and put a note of my holidays on the blog.
Our daughter, my husband and I went to Brig by train. With the new basic tunnel through the "Lötschberg" the trip from Lucerne to Brig takes only about 2 hours and 15 mintutes!
At Brig, we went on different bike trips. A well known place we biked up to is "Belalp". From there you have a great view to the glacier of Aletsch.
Another day we biked towards the Simplon-pass but after one hour or so, we went to the right on an Alp, left our bikes there and hiked up for another 1000 meters to the top of the "Glishorn". Our daughter was very motivated doing a lot of sport and persuaded us to this big effort, at the end of the day, we had made 2500 meters of height!
My husband had found many bike-ideas on the internet and some of them we tried out. The most impressing experience for me was, when we were biking for 1,600km through a little tunnel, build for the transport of water. The water was running on our left in a wooden channel, the tunnel was dark, the unterground was hard sand and the space for riding our bikes was about 1 meter of width.
On Friday, our last day, we had a rest and went on a guided tour through the palace of "Stockalper". Stockalper was a successful business man in the 17th century.
The weather had turned cold and we went home.
I am looking forward to hearing from your holidays!
See you the week after next week.
Gabi Kuhn

1 comment:

Illya Arnet said...

WOW, Gabi
I am really impressed by your holiday ike tours!!!
It sounds fascinating but very strenuous. Did all your muscles hurt? I saw a lot of bicyclists in Croatia going up and down the steep mountain roads, and although this is nothing for me, I really admire the condition they (and you, obviously too!) must have.