This is your class blog to share and learn with each other

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The best teacher

Today we will be talking about traits which make a teacher a good teacher. Now you may have done this before, probably in German, but I'm hoping to generate a lot of language which you will then (hopefully!) use.

I've found two sites that you might want to look at since they deal with descriptions.

The first is actually a review of the book 'Teacher Man' by Frank McCourt. Reading these will give you some excellent book review language, and there's still time to write a book review if you want. In fact, you can always inform us of what you are reading/have read/ have seen in the cinema or on TV/ etc. right here :-)

But back to 'Teacher Man' - the title is the link.

Another site I found is about the traits found in idealists, which is what we teachers all seem to be. You will find several well-known names here.

Now for the homework:
You will be nominating a teacher you found inspiring for an award.
-Describe what this teacher taught you
-Explain how this teacher has influenced your life
-Say why this teacher deserves the award.

You can post directly to the blog if you want (also send to me for correction), but I will also put the 3-5 best descriptions on the blog for you to vote on. These will be individual posts, so your comments on each post will count as votes. Tag the post as competition below the post.

Further homework: Coursebook pages 12-13
Go over the grammar revision and see what questions or problems you have. Prepare them for in class

I'm looking forward to reading your descriptions!

Here's a video for you. If nothing else comes to mind to write, why not describe him?


6 comments:

Evelyne said...

Competition entry

You are looking for the best teacher ever?
I’m going to describe him.

One year ago I spent three weeks in the Yukon Territory (Canada) for a trekking- and canoeing trip with other Swiss people . Our guide, also a Swiss man, knows this region like his own pocket because he did lots of adventure trips on his own when he was younger.

I was very impressed by his knowledge about nature and the animals. He taught us how to survive in this wilderness. We learned how to behave correctly in the forest which is home of uncountable bears.
Instead of complaining about wet socks, he told us stories how they dried them once when they had been on tour in a deep winter. He made us laugh and wonder at the same time.

He isn’t a man of many words, and he had the patience not to show too early how to do it right. He let us gain our own experiences. When I managed to be successful in something I got more self-confident.
But in every difficult situation he was there to help. Soon I knew that he is really sensitive and trustworthy. These skills are unreplaceable if you want to make people around you feel good.

In challenging times I remember him and his family, and I realise that I can reach whatever I want, if I really want it. He made his dream come true and moved to Canada with his wife and his two sons.

So vote for him, because he lives what he teaches. Through him I learned to slow down without having the feeling of wasting time.

Illya said...

I've copied this into a post so that it can be voted on.
Great job!

Rama said...

Hy Everybody

I did not fount any botten to make a post. So I try it this way.

The best teacher Award

My best teacher was and is Andrea Günthör, my dance teacher.
Since seven years I train up to eight hours a week at her dance school and I still look forward to every lesson. Sport means a lot to me. It makes me well-balanced and happy. I can no longer imagine my life without dancing.
I like her training very much and I learn a lot from her. I love to look at her while she is dancing. Her movements are so beautiful.
I don’t learn only different dance steps, but also much about my body and myself. I have made a lot of progress in dancing, since I take part at her classes.

She is a very warmhearted, amiable and understanding person. Her lessons are strict and challenging, but we also have a lot of fun. I like this mixture of pleasure and hard work.
She is very demanding and like you to make great strides. Therefore she gives us a lot of corrections and advice. Her feedback is always constructive and encouraging.
She has a good empathy and notice when she can be hard on me and when I can’t stand any critic.
If we make mistakes we will never be ridiculed or treated negatively.
I really feel comfortable in her classes and I will go to her lessons as long as she would be a teacher.
Andrea isn’t only my best teacher I’ve ever had, she also became a friend of mine.

Andrea deserves the award because I know in every lesson how to improve myself and I always feel better after the training than before.

So vote for her, please!

Have a nice time!

Rama

Illya Arnet said...

Hi Rama
As you can see, I've posted your description so it's easier to find :-)

Anonymous said...

The best teacher award

Five years ago I started fifth grade, I was hoping to have that teacher that everyone talked about. Her name was Andrea and at that time she was a twenty five year-old primary teacher at San Alberto School. When I met her I realize why everyone loved and talked about her, she is the most kind and sweet person I have ever met.

She was like Miss Honney in the movie Matilda, always ready to help and make us laugh. I was very impressed by the way she handle the class, I never listened her shouting as I hear now my teachers; She was patient and that was the cause that the hole class respect and feel comfortable with her. She taught me and my classmates how to treat and respect each other; To care about how people feel and to be honest childs.

Altough I was a young girl I now realize that everything that she taugh us is now very important it in my life as a student. I see some classes where bullying is something ussual and this isnt the case of mine. We all know each other for ten years aproximately and we learned to share, to be respecfull with teachers and to make everybody feel part of this group.

Andrea deserves the award because she formed us to be what we are now and I consider her a teacher who had left a footprint in my school pathway.

Illya Arnet said...

Dear anonymus writer
Thank you for contributing to this post!
Now I'm wondering if you are planning ot become a teacher. From your description of this teacher it looks like you mabye also have these traits!
Good luck if you decide to become one. It's a wonderful job!